Sunday, June 04, 2006

Beside a campfire, under the stars

11:00 p.m. June 2nd, Ray Roberts State Park/Johnson branch, site #26, sitting beside a good campfire and under a crescent moon with lots of stars . . .

This is awesome, one of the many reasons that I love camping! Kids are crashed and I'm up in a great prayer and thought time. Caris didn't make it past 9:30 and actually said "daddy i seepy" so I put her to bed. At 10:30, the boys also declared their readiness after some great campfire discussion. No one uttered a peep after I put them down in the tent.

Being an only child, I love my alone time and this is the very best kind -- looking at the stars and watching a fire burn outside! Fires are awesome wonders, beautiful and dangerous at the same time. The dance and licking of the flames followed by the iridescent glowing of embers when the fire is on its downward spiral. Occasionally sparking up or flaming up again when a light breeze gives the embers a breath of oxygen. Nothing like the fire light dancing on faces when sitting under the stars and listening to the crickets and frogs sing their songs.

I had and idea for parks that I like -- so I made note of good campsites at Ray Roberts/Johnson branch. This will serve as personal documentation for us when we go back but others who may camp there may also find this useful. I tend to look for sites with a good amount of trees/shade, a good spot for a tent (since we tent camp), and a site that's kid-friendly. Here are the sites that I thought looked good: 8, 14-19, 21, 24, 25, 26 (our site), 33, 36, 45, 51, 52, 57, 59, 63, 69, 73, 86, 97, 100, 102.

No comments: