Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Scattershooting . . .

In the '80s and '90s, there was a prolific sportswriter for the Dallas Times-Herald/Morning News named Blackie Sherrod. One of the pieces that I loved most was Blackie's column entitled "Scattershooting" which meant that he would write short quips about anything and everything all in one column. Since I don't have a lot of time to write but I have many topics that I would like to write about, here's my own version of scattershooting.

* I heard from Peter King of Sports Illustrated about a New York Times yearly article of excerpts from commencement ceremonies across the nation . . . sure would like to see that one since I bet there were some great things being said.
* In the Dominican my Uncle Craig of Canada made a great observation about Cooper and said something worth writing down. Kids are always giving you clues about their likes, dislikes, personalities, abilities, skills, etc. and we are parents always need to be on the look-out and observing and we will learn so much about our kids. In Cooper's case, he was drumming to the beat of a song using the knives on the table and doing it very well.
* Speaking of the Dominican Republic . . . loved it! It was away from the norm (obviously) which was great, awesome beach without a strong undertow and plenty of shallow water for the kids, humid and hot, first all-inclusive resort that we've been to which was pretty nice actually, and a beautiful wedding for our niece with great family and new friends made.
* Currently reading . . . Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson about traveling in England. I love England by the way and this book is inspiring me to document my own travels in this space in the near future. My Dad, stepmom, and sisters are going to "the other side of the pond" later this month and I'm jealous.

No comments: