Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Flag Retirement Ceremony

At Collin's Cub Scout campout this last weekend, I was very moved by a flag retirement ceremony performed by Boy Scout Troop 32 at the "Council Campfire" on the last night of the campout. The flag that was being flown at the scout camp was old, tattered, and faded. The Boy Scout's replaced the flag and led the retirement ceremony for the old flag.

Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 8, Part (k) of the U.S. Code says:
The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting
emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.
[Some references I found cite Title 36, Section 176, Part (k) but that is incorrect by my research.]

After several funny skits and fun, the boys let everyone know that we would participate in a flag retirement ceremony and asked everyone to be quiet and respectful. The honor guard of boys brought out the flag and one of the boys read the Code section above and explained that the red was faded, the white was no longer pure, and the blue was no longer vibrant. The flag was no longer a "fitting emblem" and had been replaced by a new flag. He read a history of the flag and discussed the colors and meaning behind the stars and stripes. While the boy was reading, one of the other scouts was cutting the stripes off of the flag and was handing the red stripes to one member of the honor guard and the white stripes to another boy.

When the flag was cut up and the history of the flag completed. The leader of the ceremony asked any veterans or active service members to come down and stand behind the flag. He then read the meaning of the color red (valor and the blood of those who have defended it), asked everyone to salute, and asked the boy with the red stripes to "retire the red stripes" by placing them into the campfire. He then read the meaning of the color white (purity and freedom), asked everyone to salute, and asked the boy with the white stripes to "retire the white stripes" by placing them into the campfire. He read the names and dates that the 13 colonies (what the stripes signify) came into the Union. Then, he read the meaning of the color blue (perseverance and justice), asked everyone to salute, and asked the boy with the blue field to "retire the stars and the blue field" by placing them into the campfire. One of the members of the honor guard played Taps on a trumpet as the final section burned in the fire.

Looking up at the veterans, hearing the history and meaning of the flag, thinking about our military in harm's way right now, and thinking about the members of my family who have served, fought, and died defending that flag was just too much for me. I started crying as soon as the red stripes were dropped into the flames. When I heard Taps, the tears running down my face just were not enough and I had to work hard to keep my composure (I'm emotional even as I type this). Sweet Collin, reached up to hold my hand and then put his arm around me. The honor guard was dismissed and we were asked to leave the campfire in silent respect. After leaving the area, Collin said "that boy had a lot of courage to say all those things tonight." Collin asked me if I was crying for the same reason that I cry at ballgames during the National Anthem -- he's so smart!

So, that was my favorite part of the campout. Yes, I am a "softy!" But, I had never witnessed a flag retirement before and it moved me so much that I had to document the experience.

No comments: